Moving involves a lot of hassle and expense, and is essentially no different from remodeling or a fire. Problems often arise during the transportation of belongings – they can get dirty, break or get lost. In addition, weather conditions must be taken into account, which can affect the safety of belongings and people’s well-being.
The role of weather in moving
Weather is a factor that cannot be controlled, but it can be anticipated to reduce risks. For example, in hot or rainy weather, or when pressure is low, it is not advisable to plan strenuous activities because health is the most important thing. In rain and mud, there is a high probability of getting belongings dirty, and they can freeze in the cold.
Moving in different seasons
Each season has its own peculiarities that must be taken into account when moving. For example, it may be too cold in winter to transport plants, or roads may be snowed in, making it difficult for trucks to pass. There can be a lot of rain in the spring, and it can be hot in the summer. In autumn, it can be too windy or rainy. Therefore, when planning a move, it is necessary to take into account weather conditions and choose the optimal time for it.
Winter: It is not recommended to transport flowers, mirrors, or pets as they may suffer from the cold. However, it is easier to transport textiles and furniture, and to assemble furniture.
Spring: Due to mud and dirt, it is necessary to cover the work area with cardboard or plastic to avoid getting things dirty.
Summer: Boxes and containers can be transported easily, but people will find it harder to work due to the heat. Extra care is also required when transporting houseplants. Read more about it in this article.
Autumn: it’s necessary to be careful due to rain and puddles which can ruin valuable items. When choosing the time for office relocation, it’s helpful to consider what items will be transported, how they will be packed, and what difficulties may arise. For example, in summer, it’s possible to move during the cool morning hours, while in autumn, it’s better to choose a dry day and suitable packaging.
Advantages and disadvantages of moving during different seasons
Usually, two seasons are distinguished for moving – the cold season (October-April) and the warm season (May-September). Each season has its advantages and disadvantages, which should be considered when choosing the time for relocation.
Those who prefer to move in winter usually point out the following advantages:
- Lower cost of services compared to the peak summer season;
- The possibility of getting a vehicle without an additional charge due to low demand;
- In some cases, it may be easier to push heavy objects over snow or ice than to carry them on straps over asphalt, especially if the house does not have a convenient entrance.
After listing the advantages of winter moving, the following disadvantages follow:
- Cold can harm flowers, aquariums, pets, paintings, and household appliances due to a sharp temperature change;
- Inconvenience. Warm clothing restricts movement and makes it difficult to grip boxes firmly;
- Risk of catching a cold from cold air;
- Short daylight hours. It’s important to complete loading and unloading within a limited number of hours, which requires quick work;
- Often, before moving, people want to prepare the new home, but in winter, some tasks, such as painting walls or wallpapering, may be challenging.
Many people prefer to move during the summer, or in late spring or early fall. During this time of year, the weather is usually warm and dry, making moving belongings more practical, economical, and safe:
- There is no need to pack items extra carefully to protect them from rain or cold
- It is not as easy to catch a cold from going outside in a warmed-up state.
- Moving can be more comfortable because one can enjoy the weather while standing outside without worrying about freezing or getting wet.
- Long daylight hours.
Despite the advantages, the warm season also has some serious drawbacks:
- During this time of year, dirt is possible, as dust from the roads and pollen from plants, combined with rain, can dirty belongings.
- In addition, hot weather can be dangerous to health as lifting heavy objects and additional strain on the heart can cause problems.
Nevertheless, choosing a suitable day in the warm season is much easier.
In summary, it can be concluded that the warm season, including the end of spring, summer, and the beginning of fall, is considered the most suitable for moving.